Dry Ingredient and Powder Handling
Efficient dry ingredient and powder handling underpins the success of many processes and requires systems which are specifically designed for your product requirements and unique applications. Powder processing is challenging and must be designed to maximize flowability and consistency, and must account for moisture content, storage time and electrostatic charge.
BMI partners with the most innovative equipment suppliers to offer turnkey solutions for process efficiency, accuracy, product consistency, safety, and ease of use. Our systems are designed to minimize water usage, energy usage and waste.
Our expert design engineers can help you:
- Scale up new processes
- Minimize energy to make powder flow
- Eliminate dead spots, segregation and particle degradation
- Prevent caking and crusting
- Solve problems with gravity flow, conveying, dust filtration and collection
- Automate CIP and steam sterilization
BMI has designed hundreds of automated systems providing:
- Feeding, weighing, batching and metering
- Sifting, mixing and blending
- Hydration systems and fluidization applications
- Grinding and milling, and particle size reduction
- Screening and separation
- Conveying and piping
- Pre-gassing, gas flushing, and post-gassing
- Dust collection, vacuuming, discharge
- Automated CIP
- Integration into filling systems
Our automation services include:
- Automation and control system engineering
- Electrical system design engineering
- Functional industrial network architecture design
- Control hardware specification and procurement
- Project management
- Integration and installation of controls equipment and electrical systems
- Factory Acceptance Tests
- Site Acceptance Tests
- Instrumentation validation
- System commissioning
- Process optimization
Systems, Programming & Supported Protocols
- Application-specific Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems
- Open system, scalable and cost-competitive equipment
- PLC/PAC ladder, structured text, and function block programming
- ENET/IP, CNET, DNET, AS-I, ModBus, Profibus, and MQTT protocols supported
- Allen Bradley, Siemens, GE, Modicon PLCs, and many other brands
- Fully documented PLC programming and graphical Human to Machine Interface (HMI) application development
- Automatic or manually generated reports
Training and Support
- On-site customer training
- Post installation remote and on-site controls support
Read what Gekkeikan Sake USA, Inc. has to say about Barnum
"We've worked with Barnum Mechanical many times over the past years. They have provided us with a high-level of skill in controls and electrical engineering, instrumentation configuration and trouble-shooting. Barnum has proven that they can systematically analyze a control system and fine tune the equipment until optimal performance is achieved. We value our relationship with them and will continue to rely upon them in the future."
Vice President, Production
Safety is at the core of everything we do
At BMI we know putting safety first protects our employees and customers, while improving our productivity, competitiveness, and profitability. We incorporate food safety into our process designs and worker safety is a continuous effort overseen by our safety management team. In addition to the financial benefits and increased productivity, the minimization of on-the-job injuries results in a bigger payoff - our employees' ingrained commitment to food and jobsite safety.
We have an extensive safety program and an outstanding safety record
Our systems adhere to 3-A sanitary design, FDA, FSMA, USDA, ASME, OSHA and UL regulations. Our project managers and foremen are OSHA 30 certified and conduct daily job hazard analysis (JHA), job safety analysis (JSA) meetings, and weekly team safety meetings. Our skilled journeymen are OSHA 10 certified and trained to adhere to our high safety standards.
Our proactive approach is reflected in our outstanding safety record. In our more than 40 years of operation, our .66 experience modification rate (EMR) has consistently surpassed the industry average of 1.0.
You know your products. We know process
BMI is an industry leading full-service design-build company specializing in next generation solutions for the food, beverage, specialty process, and other sanitary industries. Since 1980, our team of design engineers, automation and controls engineers, project managers and expert installers provide unsurpassed value and results. Regardless of the scale or complexity of the project, we deliver the right technology and automation solutions for high-performance sanitary processing and production. BMI is headquartered in Northern California and operates throughout the United States. BMI is an American-owned and privately held company.