We develop long-term collaborative relationships with our customers who range from small firms to industry giants such as Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, Coca Cola, Russian River, California Olive Ranch, Crystal Geyser, and Impossible Foods.
The Better Meat Co. Mycoprotein Fermentation Facility, Sacramento, CA
Barnum Mechanical and Automation Group teamed up to design, build, and automate a full-scale processing system at The Better Meat Co.’s new mycoprotein fermentation facility in Sacramento, California. Designing an automated processing facility requires flexibility in the design and the ability to constantly improve the system with things discovered through research and development efforts. The Better Meat Co. needed a full-scale processing system built from the ground up. The first step was understanding The Better Meat Co.’s current laboratory operations and their needs for the new full-scale processing system. The unique fermentation process required custom bioreactors and specialized equipment to produce a consistent high-quality product and to be able to make recipe and processing changes quickly and easily.
The project team assessed the existing equipment, new system requirements, and collaborated with The Better Meat Co. to design, build and install a full-scale processing system which is flexible and scalable for The Better Meat Co.’s growing operations.
Santa Rosa, California
New plant-based foods processing facility
Barnum Mechanical Inc. (BMI) worked with Wildbrine to design and install a new process system to produce cashew-based cheeses and butter products. In addition to the innovative process system, BMI designed and installed the process controls automation and the utility support systems.
We worked with Barnum Mechanical to build our end-to-end production and sanitation process for our new plant-based creamery. I was impressed with their engineering expertise in designing our process, but I was even more impressed with their willingness to make changes and evolve the process as we learned. We ended up creating a system that will allow us to grow in the future. They helped us identify what we needed to do today to plan for that future expansion. They worked hard to ensure we stayed within our budget and still got the system we needed.
Mary Doan, General Manager
Sierra Nevada Brewing Company
Mills River, NC and Chico, CA
State of the art breweries
BMI has worked with Sierra Nevada for more than 20 years. For their Mills River brewery, BMI provided a large skilled workforce, drafting services, and project support staff on short notice to meet expedited schedule deadlines for this new 200-barrel brewery and brew house.
- Provided a workforce of 85 skilled craftsmen by setting up on-site recruiting, weld testing, and safety training
- Provided comprehensive CAD drafting services including 3D modeling (BIM) of the facility, support drawings, and P&IDs- the models and drawings were used by the contractors to build the facility
- Installed equipment and showcase-quality process and utility support piping
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. has had the privilege of working with Tom Barnum and the talented crew at Barnum Mechanical for over 20 years. They were a valuable partner during several major expansions at our Chico, CA brewery, and have worked on a wide range of other projects over the years. Barnum Mechanical also played a significant role in the design and construction of our North Carolina greenfield brewery, from CAD and engineering help during the design phase to mobilizing a large field crew to assist in equipment installation and process piping.
They bring a high level of knowledge and understanding of food and beverage processing equipment, sanitary process design, and are competent in complex matrix piping and valve technology. Their attention to detail, stellar workmanship and artesian approach to design and installation continues to deliver value long after they have left the jobsite.
Ken Grossman, Founder
Coca-Cola North America
American Canyon, CA
Automated beverage production facility
BMI is currently implementing numerous production upgrades to improve automation and reduce energy and water consumption. In the past we have:
- Reconfigured existing process layout to automate and optimize production
- Designed, fabricated, and installed automated inline beverage production system including container evacuation and transfer system, high shear blend system, integration of bulk ingredient systems, inline mixing of ingredient streams using mixproof valve technology
- Designed, engineered, and integrated automated control system for production, ingredient flow and cleaning operations (CIP)
- Designed, engineered, and installed process support utilities
- Reconfigured steam distribution and condensate return
- Designed and installed stand-alone chilled glycol system
- Directed new construction activities for underground plumbing, equipment pads, and containment areas
- Performed flushing, cleaning, and passivation of new piping systems
- Designed a comprehensive electrical package and managed the electrical installation of power, instrumentation, and communication wiring to the batching process
- Installed and commissioned batching control system for new fresh brewed tea process
- Created as-built drawings and equipment manuals
J. J. Pfister Distilling Company
New organic distillery
- Designed, engineered, and installed new organic distilling production system, process piping, utilities, and equipment, including steam and condensate supply and return, glycol distribution, compressed air distribution, and filtered process water
- Designed and managed installation of electrical infrastructures for process equipment
- Designed, installed, and commissioned controls instrumentation for temperature control of mash, fermentation, and distilling processes
We at J.J. Pfister appreciate the help Barnum Mechanical has provided us in our organic distillery in Sacramento, CA. They have helped us from the inception of our company and did a superb job with our process engineering needs. A distillery is a complex manufacturing plant and the craftsmanship and problem solving were greatly appreciated. We had an issue with a purchased part that the manufacturer could not solve but Barnum Mechanical did!
Kevin Keck, Owner
Vinnie Cilurzo, Co-owner
Check out this great video on the building of Russian River’s new facility in Windsor, CA.
Russian River Brewing Company
New 75-barrel brewery, tasting room, and restaurant
- Designed process, equipment layout to optimize production
- Sized and specified major equipment
- Coordinated process installation with the building architect, mechanical and electrical contractors, and equipment suppliers
- Designed, engineered, and installed equipment, process and utility piping and support systems
- Provided on-site project management and installation crews for the installation of new brewhouse, fermentation suite, filtration, malt handling, and CIP equipment
- Developed and drafted electronic 3D models, P&IDs, and construction support drawings
- Designed, installed, and commissioned process control systems for process and reclaim water systems and distribution
- Installed state-of-the-art waste water treatment system which converts waste water to clean reclaim water, cuts operational costs, and allows Russian River to achieve their sustainability goals
We selected Barnum Mechanical because they have designed and built so many breweries. Not only were we impressed by how well the Barnum team cooperated to get things done, the quality of work is incredible. If another vendor needed something such as a cable tray, Barnum found time to get the work done efficiently all the while still staying on schedule with their own work. There was no arguing about whose job it was, they just got it done for the good of the project. Additionally, Barnum was instrumental in the design phase too— We had ideas about what we wanted and with so much brewery experience Barnum was able to help shape the design and the overall process. We ended up with everything we wanted and more. It was great working with them!
Vinnie Cilurzo, Co-owner
Almond-based cream cheese production facility
- Designed, engineered, integrated, and installed new almond cream cheese line into an existing plant, including: mixproof valve manifolds, fermentation batching system, inline gum injection, sanitary product transfer piping and electrical to a high shear mixing system, ribbon blenders, and transfer piping, and electrical to a new filler
- Designed, engineered, integrated, and installed fully automated treated process water system including pre-filtration, carbon filtration, holding tank, UV-light system, and distribution piping to existing almond milk and cream cheese processing lines
- Designed and installed circulated hot water system to control temperature in fermentation batch tanks
- Designed, engineered, and installed process and utility support systems
- Enhanced existing thermal process heat exchanger to improve sanitation by modifying and tuning existing control programs
- Engineered and installed electrical system to support motor control, PLC, and distributed IO panels for upgraded almond milk fermentation process
Seismic Brewing Company
Santa Rosa, CA
New 60-barrel brewery
- Designed, engineered, and installed turnkey process and utility support system
- Provided on-site project management and installation crews to install new fermentation cellar, boiler room, CO₂ distribution, glycol chilling, steam and condensate piping, and tie into customer-supplied brewhouse and malt handling system
- Installed state-of-the-art waste water treatment system which converts waste water to renewable energy, cuts operational costs, and allows Seismic to achieve their sustainability goals
California Olive Ranch
First automated olive oil production facility in California
- BMI designed and installed turnkey process and utility support systems for automated olive oil production
- Provided design, engineering, project management, CAD drafting, and installation services from concept to system integration and commissioning
- Designed, fabricated, and installed CIP and automated mixproof valve manifold skidded systems
- Designed and installed tank farm with automated distribution piping and CIP
- Installed and integrated filler and packaging lines
- Designed and installed utility support systems, including nitrogen, compressed air, and dryer systems
- Designed and managed installation of process electrical and network infrastructures
- Designed, installed, and commissioned process control system for product transfers, bulk storage, exports, and CIP for the olive oil process
21st Amendment Brewery
San Leandro, CA
New 100-barrel brewery
- Provided on-site project management and installation crews for new brewhouse and cellar including, process piping, filtration, glycol distribution, and keg filler
- Fabricated and installed spent grain piping and associated support structures
- Installed automated CIP system with associated piping and structural supports
Mt. Shasta, CA
Cutting-edge aseptic beverage production and bottling facility
- Installed new aseptic beverage production and bottling facility including CIP systems, deaerator, carbonation, essence injection, thermal process skids, process heat exchangers, batching equipment, juice receiving and distribution, blow mold machine, high-pressure compressor, and spring water silos
- Designed highly-efficient utility support systems to minimize noise, waste water, emissions, and other environmental impacts including low-pressure compressed air system, chiller system, cooling water system, steam and condensate systems, electrical system, pipe support systems, and pipe racks
- Designed equipment and drain layouts
- Provided comprehensive CAD and drafting services including 3D modeling, P&IDs and facility layout drawings to facilitate collaboration between all contractors and equipment suppliers
- Designed, engineered, and managed installation of electrical and network infrastructures
- Project management and installation of process equipment, process piping, and utility support systems with a crew of more than 40 skilled journeymen
- Fabricated custom batch tank platforms
- Created a comprehensive electrical package and managed the electrical installation of power and communication wiring to the process and utility equipment
- Created network topology and procured hardware for plant wide SCADA and MES
Johnny Jeffery, Master Distiller
Bently Heritage Estate Distillery
- Showcase distillery
BMI assisted with various process and utility piping projects during the initial installation phase of the project. BMI has remained on-site as the primary process contractor for all Bently’s process and utility piping modifications, process improvements, and startup support.
Barnum Mechanical Inc. functioned as our primary process installer for stainless piping, mechanical work around processing equipment, and punch list work during the trouble shooting phase of startup of our distillery in Minden, Nevada. Their work is impeccable and the pride they take in it is obvious. Not only did they deliver with bells and whistles on everything we asked of them, they also understood our desire to create a beautiful facility and paid incredible attention to detail on every project. I could not have been happier with their work and the quality of people they brought to our facility.
Johnny Jeffery, Master Distiller
Plant-based food production facility
- Designed, engineered, fabricated and installed CIP return upgrade using a skid-mounted mixproof valve manifold to automate their process and CIP systems
- Installed process and utility piping
- Designed, engineered, and commissioned controls automation system for product transfers, process piping, and equipment CIP
BMI has provided engineering and installation services for Deschutes Brewery over the last 15 years for multiple projects including:
- On-site project management and installation crews for glycol distribution system, utilizing new innovative Georg Fischer COOL-FIT piping for glycol distribution on new fermentation tanks
- Engineered, fabricated, and installed automated mixproof valve matrix for wort transfer and CIP, enabling simultaneous cleaning and process transfers
- Installation of waste water recovery and transfer system
E. & J. Gallo Winery
Healdsburg, CA and Courtside, San Miguel, CA
State-of-the-art wine production facilities
- Add automated CIP system, UV water treatment and modifications for wine filler
- Added tanks and associated piping to increase storage capacity
- Designed, engineered, installed, and commissioned control systems
Courtside, San Miquel, CA
- Designed, engineered, fabricated, and installed support equipment for new wine bottling line including automated CIP, water treatment, wine filtration, hot water, and wine transfer systems
- Designed comprehensive electrical package and managed the electrical installation of power, instrumentation, and communication wiring to the wine filtration, boiler/hot water system, and CIP process
- Installed Nitrogen blanketing piping for all existing wine storage tanks
We’ve hired Barnum Mechanical many times over the past 10 years. They have provided us with a high-level of skill in process engineering, controls, electrical and process piping. More importantly, we can rely on them. They do whatever it takes to get the job done and we consider them an important member of the team.
Gary VanderWerff, Maintenance Team Leader II
Stone Brewing Company
New 250-barrel brewery
- Provided on-site project management and installation crews for the building of new brewhouse, fermentation cellar, filtration, malt handling, CIP equipment, and associated process and utility piping and structural supports
- Rapidly assembled our mobile workforce and guaranteed installation quality by managing recruitment, welder qualification testing and on-site safety training for more than 100 qualified pipe fitters and welders
Jelly Belly Candy Company
Waukegan, IL and Fairfield, CA
World-renown confectionery company
BMI has worked at both facilities to fabricate and install custom stainless-steel lines, fittings, and valves for Jelly Belly’s new production lines. In Waukegan, BMI sent in a team of pipefitters and welders who worked seven days a week to meet Jelly Belly’s tight schedule while still maintaining our rigorous weld standards. BMI prefabricated a large portion of the tubing to meet the deadline and limit the impact on the production process.
Avery Brewing Company
New 85-barrel brewhouse
Provided on-site project management and installation crews for rigging and installation of Krones Inc. Combi Cube brewhouse, hot and cold liquor tanks, hops dosing, wet mill (VarioMill), spent grains, CIP skid, and all sanitary process and utility piping.